Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I don’t need Bollywood endorsement, says designer Sabyasachi



PTI, New Delhi, Apr 7: He is the favourite designer of leading actresses like Rani, Aishwarya and Vidya but Sabyasachi Mukherjee, who has designed for many films as well, says he doesn''t need Bollywood stars to endorse his work.
Of late Rani and Vidya have become regulars at his shows and are seen donning his creations at every other event, something which even Sabyasachi is amazed at.
"I have to tell Vidya to stop wearing my clothes, she wears too much of it! Every time I pick up the phone and say ''Again you have worn my clothes?'' I think I am tired of seeing Vidya wearing my creations," a laughing Sabyasachi told PTI.
On a serious note, the 36-year-old designer says he doesn''t want star power to eclipse his creations, even if that means lesser publicity.
"I have never asked for endorsement from them. If your product is strong you don''t need it. The media gets over-excited about the star presence and the clothing takes a back-seat. I don''t mind lesser coverage as long as my designs remain the focus," Sabyasachi said.
He is the man behind Aishwarya''s boho skirts in ''Guzaarish'', Vidya''s sarees in ''Paa'' and Rani''s outfits in ''Black''. When asked what makes him take up a film project, he replied, "The script, more than anything else."
"I was bowled over by the script of ''Paa'' and R Balki''s conviction to make such a film. I also make some choices based on the people I want to work with. I took up ''Raavan'' as I wanted to work with Mani Ratnam. I did not even get to read the script," he added.
The Kolkata-based designer himself is set to turn filmmaker and has a script ready.
"Its a small emotional film and has nothing to do with fashion. It talks about the necessary evil of volatile urbanisation. I want it to be made in a certain manner and am trying to make enough money so I can produce it myself, hopefully with or without stars."
Sabyasachi is in the capital as the Grand Finale designer for Wills India Fashion Week beginning today. He is all set to showcase a new side of him through his latest collection aimed a younger audience.
"Whenever you think of sarees, textiles, bridal and vintage, Sabyasachi is a name that comes to the mind of many. I wanted to break out of the conservative mould, to create something which carried the spirit of the brand but was also young and hip. I see this as a brand extension."
And he has plans to make his brand "younger" by launching a new kidswear collection by June this year.
"Kidswear in India is very Western or Bollywood inspired. Children wearing vulgar clothing makes me sad as the innocence is lost. I want to bring back dignity to kidswear," said the designer.

Share

Bookmark and Share